Gaming Discussions

Need For Speed World FREE TO PLAY

Submitted by maffonex, , Thread ID: 168264

Thread Closed
21-04-2020, 03:21 PM
Hello friends,
I am writing to talk to you and bring you to know about a game / revival project that some kids have and are carrying out.
This is Need For Speed World, which as you know was a game published by EA and closed in 2015.
It was a game well loved by the community, and after closing there was no game that could replace it, so some guys first created an offline version of the game, and then online servers.
It is an Open Source project. They recreated a core server from the game client. All without any financing, at your own cost.

Today the project is called Soapbox Race World, and 5-6 servers were born.
The server that is most faithful to EA's original game is NightRiderz.
It would be nice to highlight the hard work these guys have done, even with just one article.
I have already prepared a review that I can send you in case it matters.

I've always been playing with it, both with the EA and with the new project, so I'm possibly available for further information, clarifications or anything.
It is completely free both for those who want to play it and for those who want to open their own server.
I am a simple user.
Thank you, Domenico

Here are a couple of useful links, with an installation guide and a full review that I wrote myself.

Free download link of the game -> http://git.io/Download_NFSW
Discord link server of NightRiderz -> [disallowed website]

Installation guide:

1) http://git.io/Download_NFSW Download the Release.zip file
2) Extract the contents of the file into a folder
3) Start GameLauncher.exe
4) In the window that will open, choose
- Download Type: Maximum
- Download Source: WorldUnited.gg
- Click on Save Settings to save and choose the folder where to download the game files.
5) Open the top right curtain and choose the NightRiderz server
6) Click on Register to create an account with e-mail and password.
7) Log in and press Play.

Review:

Soapbox Race World is an Open Source project (therefore completely free) based on reviving the "old" Need For Speed World, published by EA on September 9, 2010 and closed on July 14, 2015.

Brief notes on the game (for those who already know it, you can skip the following paragraph).

NFSW was a one-of-a-kind free-to-play arcade-style racing MMO. But in reality it was much more.

First of all, as a style, it has nothing to do with the new titles of the NFS saga, but it came closer to the old games like Carbon and Most Wanted (2005) with, in addition, the massive online component.
Like all MMOs, the highlight was the multiplayer game. It was possible to challenge thousands of players online in a map that at the time was the largest in the series, since it brought together both the maps of NFS Carbon and NFS Most Wanted, with the same tracks (excluding the canyons).

In addition, the freeroam component was also very important. You could freely roam around the map with your friends, meet new people on the map and make friends, or challenge them in a race, or even invite the players found on the street in a friendly group to challenge each other in private races. It was possible to write to each other in an internal multi-channel chat, both for freeroam, for events, and for private messages, in short, a complete chat.

Each player had his own profile, freely viewable in the game by clicking on the player's car, and it was possible to send friend requests to meet again later.

Compared to Carbon and Most Wanted, the only difference in freeroam was the police, who initially chased you if you bothered them too much, and were later removed (from the freeroam, not from the races).

As previously mentioned, the races were almost the same as Carbon and Most Wanted, with the addition of other tracks and modes: sprint, circuit, drag, team escape and pursuit.
Each event was available up to a maximum of 6 players per room, with the exception of some drag races that were only available for 2 or 4 players, and team escapes in which a team of 4 players tried not to get caught by the police, avoiding roadblocks and spiked strips, and escape within a certain time limit.

It was also possible to play the same events in single player, challenging the cars of the computer.

The car park in the game was very large, more than 150 cars of different brands all licensed, plus some fancy vehicles.

The cars were divided into classes, E-D-C-B-A-S, based on the average of the speed, acceleration and handling statics. It was also possible to compete in events reserved for each class, in which only cars belonging to that specific class participated, as well as in free events in which there was no class restriction.

Each car was customizable. It was possible to change the performance of the installed cars