The Lounge

Serious Higher Education: Is it worth it?

Submitted by Bubble, , Thread ID: 27954

Thread Closed
17-01-2017, 12:07 AM
I want to know how everyone here feels about higher education (college/university). Some may have different viewpoints, and it may be because of the location your in, your history, and experiences.

I myself find it pretty important. I live in America. In my area, if you really want a decent job ($40+) you need an associates or higher. I used to be stubborn after I graduated high school, saying I wouldn't go to school, that I would be a freelance designer or something. But that's not very likely as the competition is extremely high.

Ya see, in most bigbusinesses here, MOST of the time, the management will pick out those with a degree vs. those without one. Even if you have over 1,000 years of experience, they will most likely choose an applicant with a degree. So having that piece of paper saying you did this and that goes a long way here.

I'm studying IT, and plan to graduate with an "associates of applied science" in a year or so.
[Image: zzmObkB.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Higher Education: Is it worth it?

If you are studying IT you should definetly keep up with education, since its 100% worth it and you will get alot from it.

Good luck with your future

OP
17-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Monopoly Wrote:
If you are studying IT you should definetly keep up with education, since its 100% worth it and you will get alot from it.

Thanks you Smile That's why I chose it. I like computers, fixing them, building them, etc. My true reason for choosing it though is because it's so versatile. I can work in military, hospitals, schools, business, and just about anything that has computers, servers, and security functions.

I think it's worth it. Higher education makes you more qualified, obviously, and people these days are certainly looking for more educated people, job competition is high.
Verified madlad

17-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Monopoly Wrote:

I 100% agree with what you have to say about this. You need to educate yourself about technology. Although I find public schools way of teaching are awful and inaccurate.

OP
17-01-2017, 12:17 AM
voltaic Wrote:
I think it's worth it. Higher education makes you more qualified, obviously, and people these days are certainly looking for more educated people, job competition is high.

Sure is, hope everyone has some sort of educational path.

No sir, I would recommend trade school. You'll learn more while in college they don't care if you pass or fail.

Where I live atleast, if you want a decent house and not live off table scraps, you HAVE to have a degree and work experience to make any money.

I guess it is really up to where you live if it matters

It all honestly depends on what you want to do, for what I want to do I could avoid going to university and take an apprenticeship sort of route, which will take the same time, but I'd start off on a salary of 1/2 those who took the degree route. I suppose it's how in depth you will need/want to get into your subject of choice that should decide whether or not you take higher education.
[Image: qq0TRP9.gif]