The Lounge

Serious [Debate] Is it unethical to eat meat?

Submitted by Eye, , Thread ID: 33294

Thread Closed

RE: [Debate] Is it unethical to eat meat?

This post was last modified: 01-05-2017, 12:05 PM by Illuminatus
01-05-2017, 02:04 AM
Eye Wrote:
Idk man, seeing all those videos about animals getting killed in the slaughter houses makes me feel guilty everytime I eat meat.

Think about a long time ago when there wasn't such high tech such as stunning animals etc... People just used spears to get their food.

[Image: 2A26519400000578-0-Early_human_hunters_m...498053.jpg]

At least in our country before the animal gets killed itis completely stunned andunconscious. Pretty sure most European countries follow this rule.
Do not allow the eye to fool the mind.

OP
01-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Illuminatus Wrote:
Think about a long time ago when there wasn't such high tech such as stunning animals etc... People just used spears to get their food.

[Image: 2A26519400000578-0-Early_human_hunters_m...498053.jpg]

At least in our country before the animal gets killed itis completely stunned andunconscious. Pretty sure most European countries follow this rule.

Well, you're right.
Where are you from?

If you put the mind of a top of the food chain predator into a human body what would happen?

It is in our blood to eat meat. It is a amazing way to get protein. Life is survival of the fittest and if you where in the wild and where starving, meat would be your best friend.

I don't believe it is unethical, the animals we eat often eat other animals, its just the food chain

I do think treating any living being poorly is unethical.
I love my share of meat, but I try to stay informed where it comes from and if the animals are treated good.
But "good" is also debatable. My definition is each animal having a good amount of room to move, regularly cleaned barns (having an automated scraper that cleans the floor is enough for me), good food and humane killing conditions.
By humane i mean stunning them and the killing them fast and without or VERY short pain.

Everyone has his own definition, but if these conditions are met it's alright by me.

Vegans refute all these falicies and believe since we're sentient and our brain has been further developed, we should be different because we know what we are doing. I do think a lot of the aspects of the vegan diet are positive and I've adopted a few of the products they consume, but I do eat meat frequently. I think proper living conditions (i.e free range, organic) for the animals in question should be a must, caged animals and battery farming is pretty inhumane. But as for eating them, as long as they have a quick and humane death, I think it's much better.

I'm sorry I don't know.

OP
08-05-2017, 01:09 AM
phuckinphaggot Wrote:
Oh boy, this is a difficult subject. I'm going to say that it's acceptable to eat meat, regardless of the conditions the animals died in. One person purchasing a more expensive brand and altering their diet in protest has such a negligible impact on the company, if it was financially viable I'd sure go for it -- however with current day conditions, it's not really viable.

That's the main problem. To make more affordable prices, the conditions of the slaughter houses get way more degenerated, because what matters is the final product that is produced, not the means by which that product has been created.

With today's technology, you could get away from not eating meat. I am a very picky eater when it comes to how I eat meat but I think its completely ethical.