Serious Leadership and the Use of Power

Submitted by Alone4Eva, , Thread ID: 63778

Thread Closed
Alone4Eva
Novice
Level:
Credits:
06-12-2017, 06:27 AM
A personal philosophy of leadership is the reflection of ones personal values, assumptions, and beliefs about leadership. As a health care leader, it is important to understand what role a health care leader should follow to create a solid foundation for leadership. Leadership can work collaboratively with a team and guide them toward success with mature decision-making and emotional intelligence. A leader must demonstrate integrity and lead by example. Keeping ones word and maintaining trust, creates a positive following and a welcoming environment. With the everlasting change in the health care industry, it is important for a leader to cultivate and support their staffs competencies. By doing so, a leader demonstrates that they value their staffs abilities and professional growth. Good leaders also recognize the importance of affiliation or networking, which provides the opportunity to develop new relationships with internal and external vendors who can influence a healthier workflow.

In the health care industry, the most suitable leadership theories to follow would be that of contemporary leadership. Contemporary theories of leadership focus on behaviors and traits; leading with action, articulation, vision, and purpose. Contemporary theories of leadership provide considerable attention to behavioral competencies and emotional intelligence, with this leadership theory one is be able to find balance and use the diverse components of the team to capitalize on strengths, and develop common ground. Contemporary theories of leadership combine both transactional leadership (maintaining the status quo) and transformational leadership (acting as change agents) to interact more with their team to preserve balance in the ongoing revolution in health care. According to Borkowski (2011), ?It is essential to create the proper blend of leadership that is flexible and adaptable to differing situational factors.

There is an increased dependence on knowledge workers which has changed the equation of leadership. Many employees are provided with empowerment over their positions and allowed to make leadership decisions. The thoughts and ideas of these knowledge workers are valued and often utilized to create new and improved work processes. In my experience, I have been afforded the power to act on behalf of management and build relationships with internal and external vendors that helped make the whole system thrive. I was well respected for my competencies and ability to work collaboratively to display the importance of interdependence. Leading with integrity is a key component to ones ability to guide and motivate staff toward change. According to Porter-O Grady and Malloch (2015), ?Complacency guarantees failure. Change is inevitable in health care, leaders must persuade their teams that any proposed change is for the better of the organization and for their own professional growth.

The Use of Power

According to Borkowski (2011), ?Power is the ability to influence others actions, thoughts, or emotions. There are many different types of power that include formal, informal, positive, and negative sources. Power should be utilized responsibly and ethically. Formal power can be utilized to build relationships to create a supportive environment, or to maximize communication. Formal power should have an upward influence that generates a new standard organization-wide. Power is not only for those in leadership roles. There is an informal power that lower-level employees can achieve when higher ranking employees become dependent on them for their expertise. Informal power is a good way to develop collective support and groom individuals for future leadership roles. Rewards would be considered a positive power if the leader rewards accordingly and not to manipulate. Rewards cannot always be monetary, but can be tailored to show gratuity. Punishment is often perceived as a negative power, but if a leader punishes with purpose by providing corrective feedback or enforces explicit consequences when results are not met, then they can potentially produce positive outcomes. Health care leaders are more effective when they utilize their power to influence in an ethical manner rather than a self-serving manner; which would increase team commitment and compliance.

What kind of Leader are you? Does your leadership style truly support your personal philosophy of leadership? Are you using your power to produce positive outcomes? The observation of a leaders effective abilities becomes ones reality or perception of leadership. Take the time to complete a self-assessment survey to demonstrate your leadership style.

RE: Leadership and the Use of Power

coffeemoney
Level:
Credits:
06-12-2017, 02:10 PM
nice article. really a good read. everyone should read it

Alone4Eva
Novice
Level:
Credits:
OP
06-12-2017, 09:11 PM
06-12-2017, 02:10 PM
coffeemoney Wrote:

Thanks, Its a long read though and unfortunately most of us (including me sometimes) get too lazy to read - and end up shit posting somewhere about an issue that could have been avoided. Took a while to type. Im actually glad that someone read it to be honest.

pepsi2125
Level:
Credits:
07-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Leadership, to me, means having the ability to Lead. By example is the best approach for me. When one is willing to do anything that may be required, I find it easier to assign tasks to the team as they know nothing is meaningless.

Alone4Eva
Novice
Level:
Credits:
OP
14-12-2017, 07:51 AM
07-12-2017, 11:44 PM
pepsi2125 Wrote:
Leadership, to me, means having the ability to Lead. By example is the best approach for me. When one is willing to do anything that may be required, I find it easier to assign tasks to the team as they know nothing is meaningless.

Effective Leadership is not assigning or the beauty of delegating. Not to say you are wrong, but leadership should be done from the back...walking behind and supporting everyone and knowing each and every role and how to do it. By Leading from the back you can pick up any missed data/information or pick up your fellow colleagues. We Lead by example by setting and showing a good example.

Dealta96
Closed Account
Level:
Credits:
19-12-2017, 05:36 PM

OwainOwjo
Novice
Level:
Credits:
19-12-2017, 05:37 PM
19-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Dealta96 Wrote:

Bro, I click on this post and look at how long it is. Have I seriouslygotta read all those words? I'm only 11, so I don't even understand half of it.

ominoushacker
Level:
Credits:
02-01-2018, 06:10 AM
i didnt read it i looked and was like nah nvm its too long