Gaming Discussions

Cosmetic vs Non-Cosmetic micro-transactions; My opinions

Submitted by Kyoko, , Thread ID: 85009

Thread Closed
17-04-2018, 05:34 PM
So as this has been probably one of the biggest things when it comes to gaming I want to take a moment and set aside both Cosmetic and Non-Cosmetic micro-transactions

So let's take a look at Overwatch for example. The game has done AMAZING with sales, and you can look at statistics it's made more than Call Of Duty in just sales of the game. Now I think a key point here is the fact that it doesn't run on special stuff that certain players may have luck to get and all it does run off of for content is just cool designs. The cool designs really can attract people in and not have people want to leave because they didn't get an over the top weapon with tons of damage such as Call Of Duty for example. That's one point I'd like to bring up is that the cosmetic stuff is harmless.

On the other hand let's talk about what a lot of people like to call, pay to win. So pay to win is usually when a game has content that is ONLY or sometimes accessible through loot boxes with an exception of certain amount of time put into the game. I see this as the fall of a game unless it's reworked, and this is why COD has been falling for years and so many other games too such as Battlefront 2 (remastered) you see it doesn't work out. It makes people hate the game because they can barely play the game with over the top weapons and or characters. Unlike cosmetic stuff that brings in people because of the designs it just makes people want to leave. I won't say this is the case for every game but it's just my opinion.

So I wanted to bring those points up. If you feel like I missed anything feel free to reply with your view on loot boxes.
[Image: tumblr_okvfwkEVqN1rztjsno1_500.png]

RE: Cosmetic vs Non-Cosmetic micro-transactions; My opinions

I'm totally fine when free games use some sort of paid currency to make progression faster. It's even better if those games do not use this currency to affect gameplay (Town of Salem, for example). But when paid exclusives come into play is when I'm outta here. The worst kind of games are ones that you have to pay to play initially, and THEN throw in things like loot boxes (EA take notes please) that make it almost impossible for casual players to progress without devoting 3 hours a day for 3 months straight.