The Lounge

Story writing. How to come up with a good ORIGINAL story?

Submitted by donidozh, , Thread ID: 113930

Thread Closed
30-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Welp, I am kindainto developing a game right now, something I've always dreamedsince I was a kid. I'vestarted building a concept, delimiting the game world, thegame style and all that, but I can'tfind a spark of a good ORIGINAL story. It seems like every time I start something good, there's alreadya similar thing going on some TV show or movie or book or whatever...It's gettingpainful. That keeps me wondering, how do people come up with such great storylines, even when they're sosimplebut catchy? Do they combine and rethinkexisting ideas or they just throw them into an "ideablender" and hope for the best?

RE: Story writing. How to come up with a good ORIGINAL story?

Don't overthink it. Think of a general idea/concept and build it from there, making it more complex as you go.
Another thing you could try would be figuring out how you want it to end, and do it all backwards.

Hope this helps you out, and good luck!

30-12-2018, 09:33 AM
donidozh Wrote:
Welp, I am kindainto developing a game right now, something I've always dreamedsince I was a kid. I'vestarted building a concept, delimiting the game world, thegame style and all that, but I can'tfind a spark of a good ORIGINAL story. It seems like every time I start something good, there's alreadya similar thing going on some TV show or movie or book or whatever...It's gettingpainful. That keeps me wondering, how do people come up with such great storylines, even when they're sosimplebut catchy? Do they combine and rethinkexisting ideas or they just throw them into an "ideablender" and hope for the best?

I made a game in the past that made it through steam greenlight and got me over 10k revenues, the story was picked from my life then edited on paper, that's how they all do it. If you can't be creative doing it i can help you for free.

You would have to think outside the box in whatever it is you want to write about look at past ideas to generate your own idea