The Lounge

Ever had Sleep Paralysis? Short story, but a true one

Submitted by Green, , Thread ID: 117302

Thread Closed
17-01-2019, 12:06 AM
I have, at least I thought I did. Before I continue I don't know what this was, but I have spoken to a few people who have all said it was sleep paralysis, although it is entirely possible it was something else, regardless it was very weird and very unsettling.

The night was like any other, there was nothing abnormal, I had not eaten or drunk anything I would have normally not. Nothing was particularly different. Believe it or not, I have a girlfriend, I was fast asleep next to her. I'm telling you this because it's part of the story later.

So being asleep I slept soundly and snuggly, snoring and sighing away until I woke. When I woke up I realized something was off, although my room looked normal there was a strange light to it, a light that shouldn't have been present at whatever time this happened to be, past midnight but before sunrise. I tried to get up and when I did I felt resistance, it felt as though I was under heavy water, or in a slow-motion sequence. As I tried to rise my body upwards it moved slowly, painfully slowly, my vision blurred. In this time I can remember myself calling for my girlfriend's name, 'Aoki?'*, I called softly. No sound came from my lips... 'Aoki?' I said again more frantically. Nothing... I called this time feverishly, 'AOKI?', I almost screamed, but no words came out my mouth.
What the fuck is happening?I thought to myself. At this point I was still in the process of rising upwards, not in a supernatural way mind you, merely sitting up in bed, however as stated before I was moving slowly, unnaturally slowly.
Something clearly was not right.

I think at this point I realized I was asleep, however, I couldn't wake up, I tried but in doing so I only sat up slower and slower, nothing was helping. It was then that the weirdest part of the event occurred. There was a flash of light, but,it did not stop, like lightning, it lit up my room, but then it stayed lit. I could make out a wooden color, and bodies. Now I think this to either be bodies being crucified or people hanging, regardless it was unsettling. I started freaking out and screaming, but once again nothing came from my mouth. Now at this point I knew I had to get out, and as this is a true story the way how is rather embarrassing. Now as an anime fan I have watched and been a fan of Naruto, and it was to my knowledge that the way you release yourself from a Genjutsu is by making a hand position and doing some weird shit, so in my mind that is what I thought about doing, and for some fucking reason it actually worked.

I sat up immediately, out of breath. I was now awake, actually awake.
What the fuck was that?I thought, and this time I said.
'Aoki... Aoki', i said, relieved to hear my own voice.
'What?', she mumbled.
'I just had the weirdest fucking dream', I stated, as I explained to her the events that had just occurred.
'weird', she muttered, 'I heard you speaking, but it was just gibberish... What did you want by the way?'
'what?', I was confused,
'Well you said you kept calling my name, what was it that you wanted?'
'uh... help?' I said hesitantly
'aw', she sighed, as she held my hand and turned over.

Back to sleep we went.

I woke up again that night, to sounds of her crying, I thought I was dreaming but she explained the next morning that she woke sobbing. I don't know why, and neither does she.

What was this? Why did it happen? I'm not one who believs dreams have meanings, but this was not a dream I had ever experienced before, it felt real, I felt an actual struggle, I felt terrified and I was concious I was dreaming but not in control of what, far from it in fact.

If you have had a similar experience I would love to hear it Smile

* This is not my girlfriends name for privacy reasons.
Please check out the most recent edition of Forum News

RE: Ever had Sleep Paralysis? Short story, but a true one

What you're describing is not sleep paralysis, however it is a different phenomenon when you are stuck in between your conscious state and unconscious. Sleep paralysis is the same, when your mind is awake but your body is asleep. You physically cannot move, and most people experience what is called "shadow people" - which to this day are not fully understood.

What you experienced was similar, however was REM (rapid eye movement)/Lucid Dreaming with a false awakening . False awakening's can be the scariest of dreams, because you feel like its real life. When I used to get these a lot when I was much younger, I would go through about 3-4 of these. Eventually you start to question reality itself. I eventually grew out of this, but those dreams I still remember 20+ years later. Hopefully these don't become a regular thing with you. If so, start paying attention to the dreams and details and trying to figure out what your subconscious is trying to tell you.

best of luck

OP
17-01-2019, 12:19 AM
jonbeard Wrote:
What you're describing is not sleep paralysis, however it is a different phenomenon when you are stuck in between your conscious state and unconscious. Sleep paralysis is the same, when your mind is awake but your body is asleep. You physically cannot move, and most people experience what is called "shadow people" - which to this day are not fully understood.

What you experienced was similar, however was REM (rapid eye movement)/Lucid Dreaming with a false awakening . False awakening's can be the scariest of dreams, because you feel like its real life. When I used to get these a lot when I was much younger, I would go through about 3-4 of these. Eventually you start to question reality itself. I eventually grew out of this, but those dreams I still remember 20+ years later. Hopefully these don't become a regular thing with you. If so, start paying attention to the dreams and details and trying to figure out what your subconscious is trying to tell you.

best of luck

Thank you for clearing it up, do you remember any of the experiences you had with False Awakenings?

Never had one, thankfully. Terrifying to even think about it.
Kamasilve#0001

[Image: 0Zvgmo.gif]

Im not sure if this is a conincidence lmao, but i did have a sleep paralysis or something of that sort. First at about 2:30am i woke up between the night for no reason and looked around me like someone was present in my room. Definitely gave me a negative vibe.. I was bored and so i went thru the reddit as usual. I really am not sure if it was my coincidence again but on one of my fav "facts" subreddit there popped a fact post which read out - "when you wake up at un usual times at night for no reason whatso ever, theres a 90% chance that there might be a negative entity watching over you" yeah ik sounds creepy and gives me goosebumps as i type this.. The time when i read that fact, i was like, "oo thats a pretty cool and a creepy fact, damn" and then i realized i should probably go to sleep since its pretty late. I check the clock, and its 2:40 ish in the morning. It suddenly strikes me, "what did i wake up for?" I, being confused, get shit scared to the point where i start to shiver from the sudden chills. I was so god damn scared at that time that i didnt even move from the position i was sitting up in on my bed. I sat there for about 30-40 minutes. My head felt heavy as hell and my spine hurt by all that sitting. Still, i felt nothing because of that fear. Believe me or not, i felt really heavy in the head and fell asleep, but before i fell asleep in my 'sitting position' i guess i must've been in that "half consious and half unconsious" state which led me to see very creepy stuff in my room in front of me (wont be saying it is.. i alr have chills typing this). Next morning i wake up to find out that i had a high fever which led me to skip college that day.

Just felt like sharing my story with you guys. Hope ya'll dont mind it Smile

Hopefully you're alright!
Have a nice day Wink

OP
17-01-2019, 08:57 PM
evelynrose1 Wrote:
Im not sure if this is a conincidence lmao, but i did have a sleep paralysis or something of that sort. First at about 2:30am i woke up between the night for no reason and looked around me like someone was present in my room. Definitely gave me a negative vibe.. I was bored and so i went thru the reddit as usual. I really am not sure if it was my coincidence again but on one of my fav "facts" subreddit there popped a fact post which read out - "when you wake up at un usual times at night for no reason whatso ever, theres a 90% chance that there might be a negative entity watching over you" yeah ik sounds creepy and gives me goosebumps as i type this.. The time when i read that fact, i was like, "oo thats a pretty cool and a creepy fact, damn" and then i realized i should probably go to sleep since its pretty late. I check the clock, and its 2:40 ish in the morning. It suddenly strikes me, "what did i wake up for?" I, being confused, get shit scared to the point where i start to shiver from the sudden chills. I was so god damn scared at that time that i didnt even move from the position i was sitting up in on my bed. I sat there for about 30-40 minutes. My head felt heavy as hell and my spine hurt by all that sitting. Still, i felt nothing because of that fear. Believe me or not, i felt really heavy in the head and fell asleep, but before i fell asleep in my 'sitting position' i guess i must've been in that "half consious and half unconsious" state which led me to see very creepy stuff in my room in front of me (wont be saying it is.. i alr have chills typing this). Next morning i wake up to find out that i had a high fever which led me to skip college that day.

Just felt like sharing my story with you guys. Hope ya'll dont mind it Smile

Hopefully you're alright!
Have a nice day Wink

Oooh that's so creepy, thank you for sharing it, you should stay active around here and we can talk more about it.

17-01-2019, 10:45 PM
Green Wrote:
Oooh that's so creepy, thank you for sharing it, you should stay active around here and we can talk more about it.

Yes! i will make sure im more active around here. Finally someone that actually believes this kind of stuff! Thanks alot!

OP
17-01-2019, 10:50 PM
evelynrose1 Wrote:
Yes! i will make sure im more active around here. Finally someone that actually believes this kind of stuff! Thanks alot!

well a similar thing happened to me which I don't know how to explain, so anything really convinces me at this point haha

Something similar has happened to me and its a freaky experience! the feeling of being conscious but unable to move or snap out it is scary to say the least. When it happened to me when i tried to move ide hear like wierd grinding noises or bolts of electricity noises i know it sounds weird but i swear on it!

I've always had sleep paralysis. I've had it so often that it doesn't even phase me anymore, at least majority of the time. I learned how to go back to sleep once I realize its happening, and when Ihallucinate, Itaunt whatever I'm seeing to just fight me when I'm awake , lol. I also learned that my personal trick to waking up is to start wiggling my toes as much as i can until im able to move my feet, then legs, then my whole body. It usually works for me