Gaming Discussions

Switch Online (Rant)

Submitted by bored, , Thread ID: 120287

Thread Closed
05-02-2019, 12:46 AM
I'm writing this rant right now because I'm really upset at Nintendo's relativelynew online subscription service, Nintendo Switch Online. You have to pay $20 a year for this service, and while the price is lower compared to Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus, the quality is also lower.

Instead of having a certain selection of games that you have access to for free that rotates periodically, Switch Online has access to a batch of NES games that have multiplayer added to them. This feature replaces the old Virtual Console.
Also, Switch Online members don't have access to sales unlike PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Gold members, but that's kind of expected due to the price of the subscription being so low.

So far I don't really have an issue with Nintendo Switch Online. The main problem is the online service in itself. I can't play Smash Ultimate online without often getting constant lag spikes just because the other player has a bad ping. This is because Nintendo doesn't have their own dedicated servers so they use P2P, which is just unacceptable from an online subscription service.

Whoever coded the net code for Switch Online should be fired, it's so fucking trash, I bet 99% of the connectivity issues would be solved if the net code was better. However as shitty as Switch Online may be, it has still managed to improve upon the online experience you had before this service being implemented. It would be bad enough if it was a free service, but people that pay $20 a year deserve a better service than this. It renders more competitive games like Smash Ultimate and Splatoon 2 completely unplayable sometimes. I don't care if they raise the price, I just want to have a consistently good online experience on the Switch.