The Lounge

How should I start learning Python?

Submitted by piloto_stevee, , Thread ID: 122409

Thread Closed
23-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Rather than giving you a boring step by step process of learning Python, I would share my personal journey about how I started learning Python.

Here is my personal learning experience:

What motivated me to start learn Python ?

I fell in love with Python after reading a bunch of answers on Quora about how people were doing wonderful things with Python.

Some were writing scripts to automate their Whats app messages.

Some wrote a script to download their favourite songs,

while some built a system to receive cricket score updates on their phones.

All of this seemed very excited to me and I finally decided that I would love to learn Python.

How I started learning Python ?

I started learning Python form The Complete Python Masterclass: Learn Python From Scratch as it was the recommended course for beginners.

I found the course to be really interesting yet simple for beginners like me.

However, if you are a professional programmer then I would recommend you to learn from the official docs : 3.7.2 Documentation

How much time it took to learn ?

Topic: Python basics, control structures, functions.

Time : - 1 Week.

Learning experience:

Learning Python basics is a piece of cake, it is extremely simple to get up and running with Python. Basics like variables, operators and control structures are extremely easy to learn as opposed to other languages like Java.

Topic: OOP & Regular Expressions

Time: 1 Week.

Learning Experience:

This section was a bit tough as I didnt had a clear understanding of OOP principles. I had used OOP in Java but still was not clear about the concept but eventually with some practice I was able to understand OOP in Python, the self keyword and the init method.

If you are a beginner then I would recommend you to focus on this section as it is widely used while making complex applications.

You might not understand a lot of things at first, but give things time to sink in and it will make sense.

Topic: Tkinter

Time: 1 Week

Learning experience:

This was the most exciting as I finally learned how to build desktop GUI applications using Python. Learned about the Tkinter library which allowed us to build interactive GUI with Python. It felt as if everything I have learned till now started making sense. When I was finally complete with this section, I was able to build my very own calculator.

Here is a screenshot of what I built:

Topic:Data Analysis

Time: 1 Week

Learning experience:

Learned about the Numpy and Pandas library which are extensively used to perform data analysis with Python. If you aspire to be a data analyst/ data scientist I say you focus on learning the basics well. I also learned how to read data from an excel/ CSV file and visualise the same data on a chart. In the process, I also learned about Jupyter notebooks which is an excellent IDE for data visualisation with Python.

RE: How should I start learning Python?

Yeah, I've been learning it a fair bit and although may not be as usefull as it once was its still a great skill

RE: How should I start learning Python?

I watched YouTube Tutorials, thats helpful Wink
Lg Stefan | Stefan807