Gaming Discussions

Is WOW Classic too niche?

Submitted by Trident3553, , Thread ID: 131345

Thread Closed
24-05-2019, 04:40 AM
Being a Zoomer who felt as if they missed out on World of Warcraft and more specifically vanilla WOW, is the game too niche or hard to get into as someone who has never played WOW and has played very few MMOs but has casually enjoyed the genre in the past?

RE: Is WOW Classic too niche?

It's a novelty, and only a novelty.

The thing that made WoW so great way back then was the community that grew up around it. That community has moved on, or at the very least been trained out of accepting 40 man raids and awful, unforgiving, punishing mechanics.

As someone who lived through launch, and all of it until cataclysm (because fuck cataclysm. that was the end of it for me), if WoW classic is true to its original self, it's going to really suck. A lot.

I remember having to get 40 lazy assholes together, then hope enough of them aren't drunk or high so a raid can be completed. I remember wiping on garbage RNG mechanics. I remember the complete crap-shoot that was loot (we had a warlock that *never* got a piece of loot from MC thanks to rng). I remember how unbalanced PvP was, and how specific classes were totally useless in that respect. I remember how limited classes were. There were no druid tanks, no druid dps. Druids healed and they liked it or got the hell out. No priest DPS, same reason. You had warrior tanks and that's all they could do because getting more than one gear set was just not going to happen.

So maybe give it a month if it's cheap, but I don't expect you'll like it. The world has moved on from garbage like that. If we still all loved shitty games with shitty loot and shitty mechanics 1) anthem would have done a lot better, and 2) we'd all still be playing the original everquest.

actually we played lich king for ages even when cata and all them others came out , imma not sure if vannila will be enough but if they make an lich king server imma be back

This post was last modified: 24-05-2019, 02:31 PM by Wraith
Assuming you still have the free time to play it, you can definitely get into it when it re-releases.

It is tough to get in to but when it releases a lot of people are going to be playing so you can just hop into a group of people that can help you ease into it.

The game is pretty much community driven and the community seems to be giving Classic a lot of fanfare.

It has remained the most popular MMO for a reason. You can go watch some videos and see what you would be getting into. The game isn't insanely complex.

I would love to see a Nulled guild whenever it releases. :sip:
[Image: dd2fc94e79b79148fc9b60e8bd4443e5-full.png]

This post was last modified: 25-05-2019, 03:44 PM by Hauqer
I started playing Wow during Warlords of Draenor and I'm interested in trying out Classic. I really liked when Timewalking Black Temple and Timewalking Ulduar came out, getting the chance to see those old raids as if they were 'current' content, so I think I'd be excited to see all the vanilla raids as if they were current like Onyxia's Lair, Blackwing Lair, AQ, Naxxramas, etc. I heard that the opening of AQ was quite exciting, something I wouldn't mind checking out.

WoW Classic is vastly different from retail WoW, I enjoy it more it doesn't cater to the player base as much as retail does. For that reason I'd say it is sort of a niche game in that regard. Its almost like a totally diffrent game then retail, Slower paced yet harder with more restrictions put on the player.

Considering how streamlined games today are, seeing these niche games pop up is a breath of fresh air. Sure, it caters to those who want their nostalgia but at some point you ask yourself when you start playing a brand new game "Why does it feel like I already played this game?"

It really is Niche. Wow Classic wont appeal to anyone who hasn't played it. its like taking away Smartphones today. People will just complain about all the inconveniences.