Submitted by zbimango, , Thread ID: 177835

Thread Closed
zbimango
Level:
Credits:
02-08-2020, 09:45 PM
about ?
Alternative forms[edit]
  • (archaic)abowt;(abbreviation)a.,(abbreviation)ab.,*(abbreviation)abt.
Pronunciation[edit]

[*]Etymology[edit]
Preposition and adverb fromMiddle English[i]aboute[/i],[i]abouten[/i], fromOld English[i]abtan[/i],[1][i]onbtan[/i], from[i]on[/i](?in, on)+[i]btan[/i](?outside of),[2]from[i]be[/i](?by)+[i]tan[/i](?outside).[3]
Adjective fromMiddle English[i]about[/i](adverb).
Preposition[edit]
[b]about[/b]

1. In a circle around; all round; on every side of; on the outside of.[First attested prior to 1150.][2]quotationsThe snake was coiled[b]about[/b]his ankle.
  2. Over or upon different parts of; through or over in various directions; here and there in; to and fro in; throughout.[First attested around 1150 to 1350.][2]quotationsRubbish was strewn[b]about[/b]the place.The children were running[b]about[/b]the room.He was well known[b]about[/b]town.
  3. Indicates that something will happen very soon; indicates a plan or intention to do something.

1. (with 'to' and verb infinitive)See[b]about to[/b].
    2. (with present participle,obsoleteordialect)On the point or verge of.quotations
  4. Concerning; with regard to; on account of; on the subject of; to affect.[First attested around 1150 to 1350.][2]quotations
    [i]He talked a lot[b]about[/b]his childhood.[/i]

[i]We must do something[b]about[/b]this problem.[/i]
    Synonyms:apropos,as for;see alsoThesaurus:about

5. Concernedwith; engaged in;intenton.[First attested around 1150 to 1350.][2]quotationsto be[b]about[/b]one's business
  6. Within or in theimmediateneighborhoodof; incontiguityorproximityto; near, as to place.[First attested around 1350 to 1470.][2]I can't find my reading glasses, but they must be somewhere[b]about[/b]the house.John's in the garden, probably somewhere[b]about[/b]the woodshed.
  7. On one's person; nearby the person.[First attested around 1150 to 1350.][2]quotationsI had no weapon[b]about[/b]me but a stick.
  8. (figuratively)In or near, as in mental facultiesor(literally)in the possession of; under the control of; at one's command; in one's makeup.[First attested around 1350 to 1470.][2]quotations
    [i]He has his wits[b]about[/b]him.[/i]

[i]There was an air of confidence[b]about[/b]the woman.[/i]