Graphics Discussion and Showcase

Request for suggestion/advice/help on what to do next starting from manual sketch-PhS

Submitted by loneroamer, , Thread ID: 242226

Thread Closed
loneroamer
Lurker
Level:
Credits:
09-05-2022, 08:49 PM
This post was last modified: 09-05-2022, 08:51 PM by loneroamer
So I had a hobby before of doing some sketches with pencils and have a bit of "finished" sketches (examples below), and recently I've been trying to get into digital art using photoshop. First thoughts were to use my sketches and start digital art using them as a reference. However, due to my lack of imagination and current knowledge of photoshop (I tried doing vector sketches over it, but that turned out too bland unrealistic and too... vector), so I don't really know or even have an idea in my mind of what can I do with them next. The problem is I'm not even sure of what exactly I'm asking for..
[Image: wvLi07If9Bg2.jpg?o=1]
[Image: Whats-App-Image-2022-05-09-at-9-36-51-PM.jpg]

RE: Request for suggestion/advice/help on what to do next starting from manual sketch-PhS

karmeddy
Novice
Level:
Credits:
14-05-2022, 01:46 AM
IMO digital art and traditional art are VERY different and you'll probably end up developing a much different style in digital. The sketches are cool, but off the top of my head they're not really in a style that is easy to transfer over. My suggestion is to either re-sketch it on digital if you did like the concept and go from there, or start a new drawing entirely.

Also I personally hate vector sketches lol, feel free to look at some digital art e.g. the show Arcane or just browse through Twitter and settle with a style you find attractive.

RE: Request for suggestion/advice/help on what to do next starting from manual sketch-PhS

piotrkad
Lurker
Level:
Credits:
14-05-2022, 07:03 PM
Vector art generally is for logos and stuff with not a lot of blended or semi-transparent shading and the like, cel-shaded or simple graphics (like logos) work best in vector.
In regards to your art though, I would suggest scanning it in and digitally inking it to start and forget about vectors for now.
In my opinion, it's easier to learn Photoshop first, and once you're used to using it, move over to Illustrator and learn that once you've got the hang of the various shortcuts and where Photoshop puts things in its menus. Illustrator is definitely different, but once you have a starting base it'll be easier to learn.