Gaming Discussions

The beautiful, harsh roguelike Below is getting an easier 'Explore mode'

Submitted by mary27, , Thread ID: 158176

Thread Closed
10-02-2020, 09:39 PM
I really like the look of Capy's roguelike exploration, but was put off by stories of its unforgiving grind. Not that I mind difficulty, and the one sure thing about roguelikes is that you're going to die a lot, but if you're going to make a beautiful game world filled with mysteries and secrets then I'd rather spend my time exploring it instead of being focused solely on not dying. Is a fine example of that: Lots of ways to die, but plenty of time to wander and enjoy the sights, and it's not excessively punishing when you do cack it.
Below will take a big step in that direction soon with the release, which "tweaks and rebalances the game to present an experience that we think will be more approachable for many," Capy said in a Steam update.

"As time passed, one thing became resoundingly clear: people loved the brooding tone and melancholic atmosphere of the Isle, and we wanted to provide a way for players to experience that world without necessarily having to overcome the brutal test of endurance required to fully experience the world of Below.