Gaming Discussions

PC i am using unreal assets from this website will there be any copyright problem?

Submitted by badowl420, , Thread ID: 174903

Thread Closed

RE: i am using unreal assets from this website will there be any copyright problem?

23-06-2020, 12:20 PM
badowl420 Wrote:
i am using unreal assets from this site to make a game and when i release my game would i face any legal or copyright issues?
Like most things in lifeit depends. If you release the game for free and it's not using assets ripped from popular commercial games created by larger publishers or developers, thenno one is going to a give a damn what you used to make it. However, if your sell your game, it could be a problemeven if its only using commercial assets which are sold for the purposes of use in games. It all depends upon what kind of attention your game draws. Whenever you put something out for the general public to consume, you never know if its going to attract the attention ofsome asshole who willgive you grief. Most indie games get lost in the sea of hundreds or even thousands of new games which are released every day, so it's more likely that almost no one will buy your gamelet alone take the time to download andactually play it if they did happen to buy it.

So, in summary unless by some miracle of luck your game happens to be popular for some reason (good or bad), it's unlikely that any copyright holder will investigate to see if you have a legal right to use the assets you used in the game.