Gaming Discussions

Twitch punishes Minecraft streamer for reporting a fraudulent donation

Submitted by IonutOG132, , Thread ID: 233817

Thread Closed
06-02-2022, 11:58 PM
[font="Open Sans", Arial, sans-serif][font="Open Sans", Arial, sans-serif]Update:[/font]After two months of back-and-forth communication, Verloren has had his Bits donations reinstated by Twitch. In an email sent to Verloren and seen by myself, the support desk told him: "We received your appeal request and conducted an investigation into the matter where it was determined that your ability to receive Bits can be restored.[/font]
[font="Open Sans", Arial, sans-serif]We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this delay. Please accept this email as confirmation that your ability to receive Bits has been reactivated."[/font]

[font="Open Sans", Arial, sans-serif][font="Open Sans", Arial, sans-serif]Original story:[/font]Twitch has terminated a streamer's ability to receive Bitsthe platform's virtual currencyafter he reported a potentially fraudulent donation to the streaming site.[/font]
[font="Open Sans", Arial, sans-serif][font="Open Sans", Arial, sans-serif]Verloren[/font]a Minecraft streamer and Twitch partnerhad received a 120,000 Bits donation off-stream in December, which works out to a pretty sizeable $1,200. Though he was initially excited, he then tentatively reported the donation to Twitch, telling me he was "concerned that maybe a 15-year-old was mishandling their parents' money" without their permission.[/font]
[font="Open Sans", Arial, sans-serif]While Twitch initially said no further action was required, Verloren was keen to double-check a large sum of money was fine. "It'd be unfortunate for me to spend my Twitch cheque and then be charged back," he told Twitch support in an email. "Could I get some kind of confirmation or at least remove all the Bits from this payout until further notice?"[/font]