Gaming Discussions

Hollow Knight Review + Wallpaper

Submitted by KittyKatu, , Thread ID: 94655

Thread Closed
07-07-2018, 03:06 AM
Hollow Knight is arguably the most successful indie game I have played in a long while. Made by three aussie game devs down in Australia, it's a visual masterpiece, but even more than that, the music, the puzzles and the setting is just mind-bogglingly brilliant.

Not only was the game one of, if not the definitive example of a game "done right", it received three additional content packs throughout the year, which were for FREE. It also has humble beginnings, being a game crowd funded on Kickstarter and being a major success, and to top it all off, it was nominated as best indie game of the year and is coming to the Nintendo Switch soon.

By now you may probably think: "kitty, you're sucking this game's dick harder than your mom's sucking on mine" and to that I say firstly how DARE you and secondly, boy strap yourself in, cause you're in for a ride.

Graphics: The game is a 2D metroidvania, made in traditional art (aka everything you see in the game was hand-drawn by the art team and then digitalised). A lot of thought went into the designs of the characters, enemies, bosses, but also into the environment. The transitions between wooden areas and deserted wastelands just "make sense" because they're executed this well.

Bosses: The perfect blend between interesting design, great fighting style and challenging difficulty. They test your skill so far and force you to apply what you have learned from playing the game so far. Very well executed.

Hollownest: The simply enormous map leaves you with a LOT to explore and if you want to 100% complete the game, be ready to spend about 40+ hours turning every pebble. The abilities you unlock along the way grant you access to even more in previous areas that you might have had to skip. It offers much exploration and rewards curiosity and going out of your way to check that one mysterious room.

Charms: The charm system gives you plenty of different abilities to equip to yourself based on your play-style. Do you want to be quick and sturdy or will you sacrifice some health for a stronger punch?

Lore: There isn't much dialogue in the game, but the lore is very extensive and convoluted. This because the game bases its storytelling on "show, don't tell". In short: it's amazing and be sure to check the wiki once you complete it to learn even more about the world in which you just played.

I personally see no reason not to play this one and would highly encourage anyone to try it out, even if you don't fancy game mechanics like insane difficulty or backtracking, as the rest of the features will definitely compensate for it.

So have you played it and agree? Disagree? Did I convince you to give it a try? What do you think about the game?

Also here's a wallpaper I made of my favourite spot in the game:
[Image: hiYSSTU.png]