The Lounge

Udemy Courses, are they worth it?

Submitted by Nasyr, , Thread ID: 109167

Thread Closed

RE: Udemy Courses, are they worth it?

15-12-2018, 03:52 AM
Nasyr Wrote:
I mean I've looked at them and you can literally tick all the sections and get the certificate. Could do that with 1,000 of them and claim to be a master.
I honestly don't think they are very educational anyways, you are being taught from the teachers perspective and most likely stuff isn't accurate.
Let's not forget half of the information could be outdated, the person selling the course doesn't care about that though.

What I dont like about many teachers is that they teach you you can do this when doing this, but they arent telling WHY youre doing it. Especially when it comes to coding, they show you a code block and tell you what it does overall but they dont explain what each element of it does. Feels like maths when you dont get anything and just learn a sequence you need to follow without understanding it - and I absolutely cant stand learning something without understanding it thoroughly.
Many only teach you the fundamentals which makes it hard to get really good at it. Practical examples are barely included and youre left thinking What can I do with this knowledge now? What can I code with it? Which realistic projects am I able to do?

Especially coding courses can be outdated which is why I wouldnt rely on that one Udemy Course. For myself, Im doing my own research additionally, making sure that Im not learning something outdated but Im also checking how new the course is, wouldnt buy one that is several years old. Exceptions are courses where the contents arent changing and evolving over time, like lets say piano or drawing courses.
| |

[Image: 0ea99705a588aaf7c0495326c2456ea2.gif]

| |