Submitted by Zenith, , Thread ID: 109178

Thread Closed
Zenith
we will wait for this
Prime
Level:
Credits:
15-12-2018, 06:40 AM
This has been a topic of discussion between me and my friends for a couple of years now, and I would like to hear your input on the matter.

Now and days there are people celebrating the Gay Pride movement. Which, great for them. I'm glad that they are able to be happy with who they are, and how us as a society are accepting of people with differing beliefs and such. But I have noticed due to seeing different social media accounts saying that straight people don't have the right to feel proud.

I ran a sort of experiment a few years back where I made a "straight Pride" Instagram account and started posting accepting, friendly posts talking about how I was proud to be a Heterosexual American, and how I am able to be as proud of my own sexuality as homosexuals are allowed to be with theirs. It was met with immediate backlash by multiple sources. People calling me "homophobic" and "insensitive" when I made no comments that attempted to demean the opposing side.

This, while being funny, seemed troubling to me. I feel like (at least from what I've seen), that this "Gay Pride' community, at least on Instagram, were unwilling to actually accept the true definition of equality, and wanted to feel like they deserve some sort of special treatment because of who they are. Although I don't believe that they deserve to be scrutinized for what they believe in, I also don't believe that they should be held as above other people. Because what kind of sense / progress would that make?

Anyway, I would love to hear if you guys have any opposing points. It would be nice to hear an opposing argument, and try and find a middle ground.

[Image: Yp8ZHSk.gif]