Gaming Discussions

Success of the Switch & Future of Nintendo

Submitted by bored, , Thread ID: 120444

Thread Closed
06-02-2019, 06:05 AM
It's not a mystery as to why the Switch has been so successful. A revolutionary concept coupled with some of the best releases this last few years, really makes this piece of equipment something special. The high sales of the Switch will probably influence Nintendo to make some changes to the way things work right now.

The first aspect in which the success of the Switch will possibly influence Nintendo is in the kind of games they push out. Normally they opt for releasing very childish like games since they appeal to a wider demographic. Considering the fact that Super Mario Odyssey is the best selling 3D Super Mario game and Breath of the Wild is the best selling Zelda game, it's probably safe to assume that Nintendo is willing to further explore more experimental and riskier concepts, therefore resulting in more titles like these. Basically, Nintendo now has a general idea of the sort of games their fans want more of, which is a really good thing. Also, it seems the indie scene on the Switch is really big, encouraging many developers to put their games on the eShop.

The second one is the future of Nintendo consoles. It is likely the 3DS won't get a successor, instead, Nintendo will focus all of their development efforts into one single hybrid console, which contains all of the titles you would expect from a Nintendo handheld plus all the other ones. I don't think there will be a budget version of the next Nintendo consoles, like the 2DS was of the 3DS, but as a tradeoff, you aren't required to pay for a handheld just to experience a handful of games. This is also a positive thing since Nintendo will be able to focus all their attention into one single console.

The third aspect is the creation of overpriced accessories for the Switch. This already happened with the pro controller which is priced at around $70, making it not really worth it. I just hope that they don't try to get away with selling bad accessories as they did with the Wii. Needless to say, this is bad for us consumers and our pockets as well.

The future for Nintendo and the Switch is looking really bright so far and I can see other companies trying to develop their own hybrid console, trying to achieve the same level of success of the Switch. On that note, I'll end this post here.