Website Construction

IPB and Xenforo vs MyBB

Submitted by YouDontSae, , Thread ID: 12405

Thread Closed
YouDontSae
Level:
Credits:
05-11-2015, 08:14 AM
I'm debating on dropping both of my premium softwares and going with MyBB. There's things that I like about the two that make me hesitant and I wouldn't want to spend a fortune getting on MyBB.
Keep in mind that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to anything coding related. :c I'm also extremely indecisive. Both of my licenses are expired and the versions I'm on are old. I have never used MyBB.

What I'm trying to create is a role-play and creative forum.
Though, ideally I'd like to have some very specific features without paying an entire month's paycheck. I want to know if any of these are able to be done in MyBB at a relatively decent price.

• Character mod. I had the perfect one in IPB, but my version is outdated and takes up a lot of space according to my server admin. Xenforo has a mediocre equivalent that I can somewhat deal with. Custom fields separate from the "Out-Of-Character" or main account is required.
  • Some sort of way to feature members or artwork. People like to be recognized.
  • A portal isn't required, but could be tied into the former point.
  • Auto refresh ofnotificationsisn't really required, but it's something I really love in Xenforo.
  • A gallery of some sort, being a creatively-geared community. Again, not required but really nice to have.
  • A way to prettify my posts. Float and glow BBcodes are my favorite.
  • Awards (which I believe I've seen here, which is a mybb forum??)
  • Integrated wiki/easy to edit pages. I need to supply the forum with lore information and having members dig through threads seems a bit inconvenient. This isn't a requirement right this moment, but will be in the near future.
I think that's all I can think of for now. Of course, I'm sure all of this is possible with the right people to code but some prices get pretty high up there especially with paid software.

What are the advantages and benefits to each compared to the other, from your experiences? Do any of them have more features/mods/addons than the others? How much more difficult is it to customize MyBB as opposed to the others?

Also if anyone mods/codes/skinsany of these softwares and can provide help I'd love to get into touch! I am willing to give payment.

IPB is the most preferred for me becauseof the existing character mod, but isn't nearly as pretty as my custom Xenforo skin. and sometimes I end up having problems with database errors, probably my fault for being silly while installing/editingstuff.

Sorry if this is in the inappropriatesection. This is more of an inquiry than anything set in stone, since I'm so indecisive and notknowledgeable.