Submitted by hammersmith, , Thread ID: 196248

Thread Closed

RE: What's the deal with Dogecoin?

starryowl
Level:
Credits:
28-02-2021, 10:28 AM
This post was last modified: 28-02-2021, 10:41 AM by starryowl
It was created as a joke years ago. Part of the appeal was that the transaction cost would be lower than things like Bitcoin.

Honestly wouldnt have had this sort of longevity if not for the Reddit community (/r/dogecoin). They managed to band together a few times to do things like sponsor a nascar racer which sort of got people interested in it for a while. They also tried to be a more friendly and ?approachable community that is big on giving tips for good comments. Sub is basically just memes most of the time nowadays.

I always saw it as an attempt at a gateway drug of sorts to crypto currencies. Was honestly the first one I ever used. If I can ever figure out where I put the damn hard drive I have a lot of doge somewhere

I should note, the hype is over blown. Though the doge community used to be big on making sure you could actually buy stuff with doge. I say used to as I havent done much with it in a while. Though I did buy some cool doge related merch with dogecoin back in the day.

Id mostly say doge is a ?fun way for people to learn about crypto. The community has also traditionally been super helpful and friendly to newbies.

Full disclosure: Im not much of a crypto fan. I mostly only have some as I figure using it is the best way to learn about certain things.