Submitted by Akihisa, , Thread ID: 71390

Thread Closed

RE: What's your Favorite Anime Movies?

Aki
­
Level:
Credits:
09-02-2018, 10:07 PM
I haven't seen many anime movies, but I've seen a couple ghibli movies this year but here's a small review of both.

Howl's Moving Castle
I really enjoyed this movie, it was silly, quirky and had an amazing soundtrack but... I didn't like the Iraq War allegory, because then the movie would be able to give more time and development to Sophie and Howl's relationship, which to me was incredibly underdeveloped. Also, the war plot just didn't feel like it belonged in this kind of story. The plot was meant to be more of a personal journey, and the war allegory would have fit a story that was more about exploring the world. I ended up forgetting who was fighting and why Howl was involved. I just think that the war was incredibly unnecessary and ruined the focus of the movie.

Arrietty
I love just about all Studio Ghibli films, there is something so surreal about them that unlike things like Disney or Pixar or any other animation studios, Ghibli movies transports you to the world they make in in their stories. That said, while I loved this movie, it did feel like there was something missing from it, and I'm not sure what. The story was nice, the characters were compelling and well written, the setting of beautiful, It just felt like the whole thing was so short, like there could have been so much more story to this.